Anyone wanting to be employed as a substitute teacher in the Dexter R-XI School District must possess a current Missouri Substitute Certificate, or a valid, non-expired, Missouri teaching certificate.
To obtain a Missouri Substitute Certificate, you must submit all of the following items to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE):
1. ONLINE SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION
- Go to the DESE website and create a profile in their online certification system. If you need assistance, follow the instructions outlined in the Help Guide for the Certification System.
- After you have created a profile, click on “New Applications” in the menu on the left hand side of the screen to bring up a list of application types.
- Choose “Substitute” from the list to create an online application. Complete and submit the application.
2. ORIGINAL COPIES OF ALL TRANSCRIPTS
- Original transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number on all of the transcripts. Faxed, scanned, emailed, or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
3. FINGERPRINT/BACKGROUND CHECK
- A criminal fingerprint/background clearance must be obtained before a certificate will be issued.
After a valid Missouri Substitute Certificate has been obtained, a completed Dexter R-XI School District Substitute Teacher application must be submitted to the Dexter R-XI Administration Office for approval by the Board of Education.
Teachers with a valid, non-expired, Missouri teaching certificate, must notify the Dexter R-XI Administration of his/her intent to substitute teach within 12 months of retirement, or termination of employment as a teacher. Any break from teaching for more than 12 months will require a criminal fingerprint/background clearance before being allowed to substitute teach.
Only those approved by the Dexter R-XI Board of Education will be allowed to substitute teach.
In July of each year, all substitute teachers must complete a renewal application with the Dexter R-XI School District. An application form is available at the Administration Office, 1031 Brown Pilot Lane, Dexter, MO 63841 or by calling #573-614-1000 to request an application to be mailed or emailed.