Migrant and Limited English Proficiency Student Plan
for Identification and InstructionThe Dexter R-XI School District recognizes the importance of identifying and providingservices to students who enroll in the district whose primary language is one other thanEnglish.To identify students whose primary language is one other than English, the followingsteps of identification will be incorporated:
To provide appropriate educational services to English as Second Language (ESL)students, the following steps will be incorporated:
- Each student or his/her representative will be asked the primary form of language on either district’s enrollment form.
- When it is indicated that English is not the primary language spoken in the home, a screening will be administered with the assistance of an interpreter, if needed.
- The survey results will be studied to determine the extent of proficiency the student has in speaking English.
- A family interview will be conducted to determine the level of proficiency of speaking English in the home and to determine the primary language spoken in the home.
- The school district will develop an educational program for children identified as “Language Minority” or “Limited English Proficient” students.